Liquor Licensing Lawyers in Newcastle

Comply With All Regulations

Need a liquor licence for your business or event or do you want to buy or sell a business with a liquor licence? The team from Bale Boshev Lawyers will make sure you comply with all regulations and have the appropriate licences. 

We have a strong team with a diverse range of lawyers in Newcastle specialising in various fields. Our lawyers, Peter Bale and Joshua Hay have a wealth of knowledge regarding legislations surrounding liquor licences. With offices in Hamilton, Belmont and East Maitland, we have been proudly serving clients from across Newcastle, the Central Coast and the Hunter Valley region since 1980.

Wooden Mallet — Lawyers in Hamilton, NSW
Lawyer In A Suit — Lawyers in Hamilton, NSW

What Is A Liquor Licence?

If you are planning to hold an event or start a business where you and your staff will be serving alcohol, you must obtain a liquor licence. A liquor licence allows you to legally serve alcohol to members of the public.

These licences are required to protect you and your business, as well as provide the necessary information regarding your rights and responsibilities while serving alcohol. This means supplying alcohol in a responsible manner, refusing service to minors and individuals who are intoxicated, creating a safe environment and ensuring necessary steps are taken to remove customers who pose harm to themselves or others.

If your Newcastle business has not followed regulations and taken precautions you could be liable for any harm imposed on customers due to excessive alcohol consumption. This can result in your business having to pay for compensation for public liability, and will also increase your liquor licence fees as your business will be deemed to be a high risk environment.

Law Books On Shelf — Lawyers in Hamilton, NSW

What Businesses Require A Liquor Licence?

The premises that will require a liquor licence can include pubs, bars, clubs, hotels, restaurants, bottle shops and more. Depending on the type of business or event you are running, you will require different liquor licence types. In NSW, there are seven types of liquor licences which are:
Navigating the differences between each licence can be difficult and confusing, so that’s where our lawyers can help. We can help you apply for the most appropriate licence depending on factors such as when you intend to serve alcohol, the capacity of your venue, whether the drinks will be consumed on premises or taken elsewhere, and if you are producing or wholesaling the alcohol.

Our lawyers will make sure you comply with all regulations, so you are protected from allegations. Contact our team today for professional legal advice you can trust and protect your business.

Frequently Asked Questions

A liquor licence is required in NSW if you are selling alcohol on your business premises. This includes venues such as pubs, bars, and restaurants where alcohol is served to members of the public. Bed and breakfast establishments, cruises, retirement villages and other venues that only serve alcohol to their guests are exempt.

A liquor licence is required by the business establishment, and every staff who will be serving alcohol to the customers are required to have a Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) certificate. You must undertake training for RSA to be eligible to obtain a liquor licence.

Different liquor licences applies to different business types. These can include small bar licenses, club, on premise, hotel, etc. Speak to your lawyer to understand what licenses you need. You can also visit the NSW government website and use their licence selector tool, which will show you the most appropriate licence type for your business or event.

The annual licence fee is calculated by a base fee, risk based loadings, trading hour loadings and compliance risk loadings. For example, if your business has a large premise, late opening hours and has poor compliance history, your liquor licence will cost more than other businesses. However, at the moment, some licensees can have their liquor licence fee waived or deferred due to COVID-19.

You must also display signs that notifies patrons and staff the consequences of non-compliance with liquor laws, ensure your staff are fully trained and your venue complies with all the conditions your licence was granted under.

Talk to one of our Newcastle lawyers today, and let us fight for you.